Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday

Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
It’s amazing what a little bit of paint can do to cheapo thrift store glass isn’t it?  A little bit of color and a little bit of elbow-grease can produce a distressed piece of decor customized to your color scheme.  Cheap.  Easy.  Fast.  My fav kind of DIY projects.  Check out how you can easily distress your own glass for a one-of-a-kind piece!

The first thing you need is a textured vase or bottle.  Dollar Tree is a great place to find these quickly or take your time and scour garage sales for unique vintage pieces or old liquor bottles (or save your own).  Oh, and Mason Jar’s.  LOVE me some painted distressed Mason Jars.
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
 Krylon’s Indoor/Outdoor Paint is awesome.  Bonds to just about everything.  This particular color is Hammered Copper.  It’s sparkly too!  I opt for spray paint above canned paint or glass paint.  Why?  It goes on fast and dries fast.  And sometimes all I have is nap time to complete a project!  Any other SuperMom’s know anything about that?

Spay a nice even coat but don’t worry so much about perfection, we are going to distress it so don’t stress!  I like to apply two different colors to add a little more depth and character.  Two contrasting colors is a nice way to customize your pieces to your decor.
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
 Let your pieces dry and then comes the fun part.  Skip the sandpaper and grab a piece of steel wool (pssssttt….the steel wool’s a little bit easier on the nails too).
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
Using steel wool makes it easier to control the amount of paint that comes off.  That way the first color you applied can show through before you get down to the glass.
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
I made several of these pieces in different colors and sold them at a local craft fair.
I got to experiment with different colors and kept some of my favorite pieces.
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
Blue is my favorite color and I just loved the shape of this old bottle.  It’s vintage liquor glass that I picked up at a garage sale a couple years ago.  It was missing the top so I got both pieces for $8.
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
Honestly you really can’t mess this up.  If you absolutely hate the way you distressed it, like rubbed off too much (is that even possible?) you can always shoot another shot of paint on it and start over!  Might have to wait ’till the next nap time though.
Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday on day2day SuperMom
I used both pieces on the ‘kids’ side’ of my fireplace mantle to decorate for Valentines.  I went with reds & aqua’s and it turned out pretty cute.  Check back next week for the full reveal of ‘my side’ too.  Romantic on one side, kid approved on the other!

Have you made your own distressed glass pieces?  Do you paint them to match your decor?  Any tricks to share?  =)

Comments

1. says

This looks incredible! Nicely done! I tend to be hesitant to distress my own glass, only because I’m not sureI would do a good job. Your post makes me want to try it, so thank you! I saw your post at Nifty Thrifty Sundays, and had to check it out!

I would love it if you stopped by our Facebook page to say ‘hello!’

Cheers!
    ~Cathy~
    ourminifamily.com

2. says

This is a great “how to”. I see so many glass pieces at our local Goodwill that I never buy because I don’t know what I would do with them. I would love to try this technique!

3. says

Wow! Nice to hear so many of you enjoyed this fun tutorial! Don’t be scared…you really CAN’T mess it up! If you try it, send me a pic & I’ll show it off =)

4. says

I had one of those small flower vases I love how they turned out. Makes me wonder if I have it or gave it away. If I find it I will have to do this. I love all the bottles with the geometric. They look great. I’ll be pinning for later. Thanks for sharing @DearCreatives Theresa

5. says

Hey there!

I just wanted to let you know that one of our co-hosts at The PINcentive Blog Hop chose this post as a winner, so CONGRATULATIONS! As a winner, I’d love to feature this post at our next hop and it will be pinned a minimum of 31 times by my team of pinners! Additionally, we’d love to have you co-host our next hop and choose our winner. It’s a great opportunity to make new friends and increase your following. You are also entitle to priority seating at our next hop which means I will add the URL of the post you’d like to link up manually :o)

I hope you are as excited as we are! Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Since I’m working under a rather tight deadline, your timely response would be greatly appreciated! If you decide to co-host, I’d need your 3 preferred methods you’d like blog hop participants to follow you and the URL of the post you’d like to link up this week.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you! Happy Friday!

Elena
    croppedstories@gmail.com

6. says

These are gorgeous! I have two very old crystal lamps. Just thinking I might paint them! What color blue paint do you use?

7. says

These are not only GORGEOUS but SUPER thrifty! My kinda project;-) Thanks for the fab step by step tutorial, but one question…what color did you use for the blue coat? Did u also use the indoor/outdoor spray paint? Marisa @ Burlap and Bananas

8. says

Thanks for all the wonderful comments!! The blue color is called ‘BLUE OCEAN BREEZE’ and yes, it’s a spray paint! The color underneath, the first coat, is Krylon’s Brushed Metallic line of spray paints ‘BRUSHED NICKLE’ =)

9. MJ Stamper says

These are gorgeous! How much are you able to sell them for? They’d be great for a fundraiser!

• pwpadmin says

That is a good idea MJ. I sold them any where between $8-15, depending on size & type of bottle. Thanks for stopping by =)

10. says

Reculez-vous et aller de porcs-sauvage avec autant de pâtes qu’elles le souhaitaient.
    Ce type de régime miracle mais il ya beaucoup de produits d’origine animale
    ou inclure. Pour le perdre, ou plus précisément à lla diète rester
    sur le front. Fiixez vous un objectifCombien de poids à un programme d’activités physiques progressives et non raffinée
    pou tous”. Manger régulièrement même quand vous lipo 13 carbuloss faites, plus l’exercice que vous n’auriez jamais ccru possible. Si tu trouves tes cuisses : http://videos.
    comment maigrir recently posted…comment maigrirMy Profile

11. says

I usually do not write a ton of responses, but i did a few searching and wound up
    here Distressed Glass Made Easy ~ DIY Friday – day2day SuperMom.
    And I do have a few questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be simply me or does it give the impression like some
    of these responses look as if they are written by brain dead people?

:-P And, if you are posting at other sites, I would like
    to keep up with everything new you have to post. Would you
    list of the complete urls of your communal sites
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
    onegame.de recently posted…onegame.deMy Profile

12. says

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.

Would you be interested in exchanging links or
    maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa?
    My site covers a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward
    to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!
    wilkenson knaggs recently posted…wilkenson knaggsMy Profile

Trackbacks